Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Surprise & Delight


I love my VW mechanic! He has a small shop in the town where I live which is wicked convenient, he flexes his hours to accommodate his customers, he remembers my name and thanks me for my business every time I see him, plus has the friendliest dog there at the shop with him all the time!

But today he turned it up yet another notch.

I dropped the car off this morning needing a headlamp and brake light replaced. I know, this is something you'd think I could do myself but ask any VW owner, they're engineered to run like a dream but not engineered for easy access for do-it-yourselfers!

Being the procrastinator I am, my state inspection expires at the end of the month which, oh by the way, is today. Not a big deal, I get the car today and take it for inspection over the weekend. 2 days risk of driving on an expired inspection sticker I can handle.

I called the shop this afternoon to see if the car is done and my guy tells me "yes, the work is done but it's not back from inspection yet". Really? You took it to the inspection place for me? When I asked him about this he said he does this for his customers if time allows. Needless to say, I was blown away.

That simple act, going beyond the expected to deliver something more, something the customer would never have seen coming can create loyalty that's almost impossible to break. Cost, features, and convenience aren't enough to separate you from the competition. You've got to WOW your customer with the unexpected to differentiate yourself from the others and create that customer for life.

Greg, you are my hero !!

No comments:

Post a Comment